Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Running my race


It's been a good week here on the island, teaching and spending time with people during the mornings and evenings, and working on church administration in the afternoon. Since I've been absorbed in the book of Hebrews this week, I've been thinking a great deal about the race God has given each of us to run, mindful that we are often tempted to covet the race of another. As with any race, there are stretches of immense challenges and stretches of blessing. This week has been one of those times when I'm profoundly grateful for being able to do that which I love. My race, this week, has taken me here to the Gulf Islands, where my friend and mentor runs a Bible School. It's like a second home, and will always have a special place in my heart, not because of the beauty, (although the place is spectacular) but because of the shared commitment to proclaim Christ as THE single source for life, calling, meaning, strength - all that we need in order to become all we're meant to be. Last week I attended a conference whose speakers were the super stars of church life. It was a good conference, attended by 54,000 pastors. But I'm glad God has given me this race - teaching mostly small groups of people from many parts of the world and all walks of life about Christ and only want to be found faithful in that which He's given me.

cheers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home