Sermon Discussion: God the Father Almighty
Study notes and Questions for 08 - September 28
Title: God as Parent: Growing Pains and Gains
Text: Romans 8:12-17
Like any good parent, God is wanting to bless His children. Further, God is able to bless His children, along with nurturing and fortifying us so that we grow into our full stature as heirs with Christ, doing our part in running the family business. Yet, the notion of God as Father is off putting to many. These questions are designed to begin the conversation about what it means to live in relationship with God as our Father. As we consider these things it's vital to remember that we're invited to rethink fatherhood by looking at God, rather than rethinking the character of God based on what we see in human fathers.
1. What adjectives describe your relationship with your father?
2. How easily do those adjectives transfer over to your relationship with God?
3. Is it easier for you to think of God as deeply personal, or as all powerful? Why?
4. What helps you build trust in God when things don't turn out as you'd hoped, or prayed for?
5. What kind of elements in one's life contribute to building our relationships between children and parents? Do any of these carry over into building our relationship with God?
6. What do you to in order to overcome your tendencies to disengage from relationships: with others? with God?