Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Fyodor speaks...

Watch a little 60 minutes, or read a little news these days and there's a good chance you'll become angry at someone, or some political party, or some bank CEO. The anger and fear that are coursing through our culture right now are dangerous at many levels. Give in to these fleeting emotions (and it is remarkably easy to do so these days), and they become the soil for bitterness, greed, and isolation. These emotions, and the actions that stem from them, end up spilling into the world with the result that we become part of the problem rather than part of the solution, losing our saltiness; hiding our lights.

That's why the words of Father Zossima from The Brothers Karamazov, are so timely. I offer them, italicized, with my own prayers after each word.

If the evil doings of men move you to indignation and overwhelming disrress, even to a desire for vengeance on the evildoers, shun above all things that feeling.

Grant, O Lord, that I might have eyes to see when my heart is moving toward the dark spaces of bitterness, anger, and judgment. And seeing these things, bring conviction, that I might be quick to turn from these poisons.

Fear not the great nor the mighty, but be wise and serene.

It's easy, O Lord, to feel as if we're victims, tossed about by the whims of those in power. Thank you for the truth that we are, in spite of the stormy seas and whims of men, safe with you. May we learn to dwell there with ever increasing steadfastness, and in so dwelling, know your peace and rest.

Love all men. Love everything. Water the earth with the tears of your joy and love those tears.

Yes Lord. Zossima was right. Open my eyes to see your glory, resplendent as always, even in these trying times. The new blossoms arise from the earth, testimony of your sustenance and hints of greater beauty yet to come. The cat is at rest, oblivious to the strivings of humanity. The days grow longer. The sunlight and shadows on the firs testify that you continue to uphold the earth, that beauty still exists, that provision still comes from you, that all shall be well. Give me eyes to see what is so easily seen when I but look - the beauty of the earth. Thank you for tears of joy that come when your beauty, seen in your creation, pierces my heart. Amen

It's all a matter, it seems, of where we choose to fix our gaze. Ah yes, it's wise to read the news, prudent to take action. But we would do well to see the light and shadows, the cat, the blossom, the hints of life bursting forth, for these are the shoutings of our good God intended to bless and fortify our souls.

5 Comments:

At 4/3/09 09:53, Blogger SuJ'n said...

I always enjoy your posts, but the ones with pictures of kitties are also irresistible.

 
At 4/3/09 11:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had been listening to both sides on progressive and conservative radio & TV so much the last few months that I found myself losing my joy. The one mark of a true follower of Yeshua is joy.
Therefore; out go the programs and in goes the attention to what gives life and joy.

 
At 5/3/09 00:21, Blogger Raymond said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5/3/09 00:31, Blogger Raymond said...

Just today, I was knocked up side the head with discouragement, foreclosures, homes in Detroit selling for $19,000 wondering how I'll ever be able to afford a 700K fix-er-upper in the city that I enjoy, wondering what the heck is going on with government and all the wacky decisions they continue to make locally and in DC, wondering where my next paycheck will come from, wondering who will ever hire me if my current situation changes, wondering if I've once again been rejected by a girl before things even have a chance to heat up, peering out my skylight to see rolling gray clouds...(well, I actually don't mind the rolling clouds so much). I literally pulled the blankets over my head and went back to sleep. It's quite easy to spin out. And yet, I got out of bed, arranged to meet a loyal friend at SBUX--discovered more common ground between us, we both loved feeling the sun on our skin as it broke through the ominous clouds, smiled at my snowdrops, proudly discovered my peonies breaking ground, got invited to be in a wedding and had a delicious slice of homemade carrot cake. I'm glad I got out of bed. Who knows what tomorrow holds? No matter how much I trust in the Lord, each day still holds it's challenges and rewards.....

 
At 9/3/09 13:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Give in to these fleeting emotions (and it is remarkably easy to do so these days), and they become the soil for bitterness, greed, and isolation. These emotions, and the actions that stem from them, end up spilling into the world with the result that we become part of the problem rather than part of the solution, losing our saltiness; hiding our lights."

Thank you for this reminder, Richard, that we are called to be people of hope, even and especially in times like these when it is so easy to be otherwise. I pray that when opportunities arrise to choose between getting sucked into all of the negativity or to attest to the hope I have within, the hope that God is faithful and is still at work around me, that I will choose the latter! Thank you and enjoy your week at the cabin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home