Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Garden State: The Soundtrack

Last night each of the several times I passed through the living room, my daughter was doing her math homework to the inspiration of some very good music. Each time I was in the room, it was a different artist, but always in the genre whose name I don't know, the genre formerly know (to us boomers) as folk. You know the stuff: Coldplay, The Shins, Iron and Wine. After several passes through the room, I came in once more and it was Simon and Garfunkel's "The Only Living Boy in New York". Unbelievable! I hadn't heard that song since high school, and here is my daughter soaking it up while she solves some bizarre graphing equation. I asked. "Garden State soundtrack" she said.

I listened - really listened. I'm not the kind who can tolerate background music with lyrics very well, because it always seems to come into the foreground of my mind. So I stopped doing other stuff and listened. Wow! I'd seen the movie, and remember thinking at the time how every generation captures the emptiness and angst that is part of our heritage as wealthy, educated, choice laden Americans, but I hadn't really remembered the music. It's excellent. I was heartened to realize that some good stuff is being produced and, apparently, listened to. It was bizarre to spend the morning studying Isaiah, and then during lunch listen to Frou Frou's "Let Go" and realize that the invitation to jump in is exactly what God is calling us to in relationship with Himself. Hmmm. The poets are the prophets, sometimes, without even knowing it.

2 Comments:

At 21/9/05 13:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had always heard that Bob Dylan was a prophet/mystic/poet, but never gave him a chance, finding his voice a little hard to get used to. A friend at work thought I'd appreciate the album (oops...CD) "Slow Train Coming". I am now a fan.

"It may be the devil, or it may be the Lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody..."

Bob's right.

 
At 24/9/05 14:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop a line and tell you that I really appreciated these blogs... excellent content...great writing style. Read 'em down to the very last one where the Lord pierced my heart... He's using them. Thanks...
DREW from Tacoma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home