Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Monday, September 26, 2005

How Rich are You?


Jeremiah 9:23 offered us warnings about the rich, the strong, and the wise; warnings about not boasting in those resources. It might be tempting for many of us to dismiss the admonitions written to the rich because "we can't afford season tickets", or because we "shop at Nordstrom Rack instead of Nordstrom", or because we "don't eat out more than once a week." But wealth and poverty should really be assessed at a global level, and a good tool for seeing where you stand in relation to the rest of the world can be found here. Let me know what you think after you've run your own numbers. For myself, I can say that the knowledge has diminished my sense of envy, and increased my sense of responsibility for the use of my resources to care for the huge part of the world living with so much less than me.

1 Comments:

At 28/9/05 15:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an idea...but MAN, that is eye-opening. I don't think most of us really think about how good we have it. Check on even $15,000/yr. That would put you in the top 12% of the richest people in the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home