Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Bread/Strength/Freedom connection

Establish my footsteps in your Word,
And do not let any iniquity have dominion over me
Redeem me from the oppression of man,
That I may keep your precepts.
(Psalm 119:133-135)

I wonder how many of us have made some sort of truce with iniquity, granting it power over our lives. Spending? Sex? Eating? Not Eating?

I know the issues are complex, but I also believe that, as this Psalm indicates, there’s a direct connection between being established in the Word and gaining power over sin. If we’ll eat the Living Bread, we’ll find strength to endure and overcome. The Living Bread… not the Bible… but Christ Himself. Of course, He’s revealed through the Bible, and thus the prayer of the Psalmist… ‘establish my footsteps in your word’. Our staff and board will be reading, “Eat this Book” this fall for this very purpose. I’d recommend it to anyone.

My daily devotional book offers a prayer related to this verse: “Lord, order my steps in Your word. Don’t let any iniquity have dominion over me; let no sin rule over me. Shine Your face on me, Your servant. Lord, be Lord of all of me. I want You to be the Master, no my independence, my wrong actions and attachments, my wrong attitudes. None of these should master me.”

It’s a good prayer. Who, after all, has the energy to drag around a ball of chain all day long?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home