Pastoral Musings from Rain City

it's about 'what is church?' it's about whether 'emergent' is the latest Christian trend or something more substantial. it's musing on what it means to live faithfully...in the city, in America, in community, intergenerationally, at this time in history...

Monday, March 09, 2009

rest...




The writing cabin: 9:15 AM

I'm here to rest this week mostly, with a day of study thrown in for the coming Sunday. I rise at 7:30 this morning and begin "The Complete works of Flannery O'Conner" as I drink a pot of French press. There's snow falling outside, now vertical, now sideways, as the wind makes the trees dance. My wife is in bed watching the snow. The cabin is warm. Chickadees are running for cover outside, making the eaves of the writing cabin a safe place. She wachthes them too.

We've brought skiis just in case. Today, at least, it's enough to sit. Watch. Pray. Cherish the shelter of the cabin like a warm hug. Words aren't needed. Just rest. The only words that spill out of my mouth: "I think I'd be as happy sitting here watching it snow, as sitting on a beach in Hawaii."

"Happier" my wife says. She's right. Silence resumes as the snow falls.

I might write more later, but the beauty of this week is simple: no commitments!

Cheers.

6 Comments:

At 9/3/09 10:28, Blogger Unknown said...

oh enjoy!! Sounds lovely.

I'm sending a few friends to your church. :) I know they'll totally feel refreshed by you.

 
At 9/3/09 15:07, Blogger rebecca joy said...

first of all, a writing cabin - how divine! and the way you describe the snow is such a stark contrast to the way me and my frenzied co-workers have been talking about it as we panic about traffic and getting home and all that nonsense. thank you for reminding me that snow is a gift, especially when you have shelter. enjoy!

 
At 9/3/09 22:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're getting a chance to enjoy a lovely day in the wilderness with the snow falling around you :D I will admit to being a bit envious, but I'm so glad you two are having time to relax! Yay :D

 
At 10/3/09 09:34, Blogger Nate said...

I stumbled across your book yesterday and I could not put it down. It was a breath of fresh air for me and it will change the way I do youth ministry. I was excited to find your blog today, I look forward to reading your musings frequently. If your church is ever looking to expand their staff, my resume will be on its way.

 
At 10/3/09 23:15, Blogger Holly said...

I was reading Flannery too, we're not so different you and I. Love you Papa!

 
At 11/3/09 13:38, Blogger Bree said...

I don't know...Sitting on the beach in Hawaii was pretty nice and warm. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home